Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Joe Lewis Milk Company







Born in Alabama,  Joe Louis, aka  the Brown Bomber (May 13, 1914 to April 12, 1981) was the World Heavyweight Champion from 1937 to 1949 and was nicknamed the Brown Bomber

 The Joe Lewis Milk Company was established in 1954 in at 10842 S. Michigan Ave, (below) not to far from where I was born. The neighborhood is officially called Roseland but because of it's high crime ratio, it's commonly referred to as "The Wild Hundreds". Jewel's Food's carried Joe Lewis's milk until 1977, at which point the company ceased operation.

Occasionally I use to drink this milk as a child. I remember it around the house at times, but no one explained the importance of it or who Joe Lewis was and I never asked.
I don't think I knew who Joe Lewis was until after college. But when I saw this milk cartoon on the internet, I became nostalgic.







No comments: